Friday, January 27, 2006

Why am I a Christian?

I went to a "Youth Pastor's" lunch the other day even though I wouldn't consider myself a youth pastor. Somehow I received an email about the happening and in it were the words "free meal." How could I resist? Anyhow I thought it would be a good time of discussion, and it was.

To go along with the free meal was a free book. And because I was there so early (sometimes I've just got nothing better to do) I got first choice. I looked over a couple of Doug Fields books (one of the modern day gods of youth ministry), scanned past some Mike Yaconelli (another great man of youth ministry, one I actually highly respect); but nothing seemed to catch my eye. Then I moved some off the top of a pile and found something appealing. It was a book called "a Generous Orthodoxy" by Brian McLaren. I have heard of McLaren many times. His name seems to be ever so connected to the "emergent" movement. But I have never read him. This was my chance. So I took it (the book that is).

As I started to read I appreciated his style and discourse. His direction wasn't bad either. But before he could take me there, he stumped me with a very simple question. Why am I a Christian? He asks it of himself; but I was taken back by its implications for me. Why am I a Christian? And as I started thinking on this idea it took me deeper still. If I am a Christian, does that better or worsen the chance that others would want to be one?

This question isn't directly "grey" but it does have grey answers. Each one of us has reasons why he or she is or isn't a Christian. Some of our reasons are actually reasons; others are just excuses. McLaren has challenged me again to analyze my own reasons and test them not only for strength but also authenticity. Because if my reasons are left wanting will not my witness be also?

So, why are you a Christian? Why are you not a Christian? And how are your reasons/excuses influencing others around you?

...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow that book when you are done? I've read so many reviews and excerpts from it that I feel I've already read it myself. Better get things straight from the horse's mouth.

I wasn't really impressed with Brian's section in Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives which I own. I agree with his critiques (mostly), but find his positive contributions lacking. I don't want to exaggerate my disagreement, because I really do think most of his critiques are spot on.

BUT...

I don't like how he always reduces things down to two logical principles, which are so simplified/exaggerated that no one actually believes in either, and then tries to transcend/emerge-beyond both.

I also think he's very deft with playing the humility card, such that with a few slight of hand tricks he makes it hard to accuse him of the arrogance his sweeping generalizations and broad side criticisms might actually be guilty of. I think his humility is genuine, in a sort of "aw shucks he's so nice" kinda way... but I can't help feeling it is sneaky.

Damn sneaky, bless his heart. {said with southern accent}

Here's a review of the book you just got, by a fellow who I really respect a lot. I bet I'll end up sounding a bit like this guy when I'm through reading it myself.

adam said...

pilgrim,

As I finished the second chapter I too understand your comment at McLaren's "deftness" when it comes to the "humility card." Chapter two, or actually chapter 0, is his disclaimer for the book. The undertone is "here's what I'm going to do. Most of you conservative evangelicals, especially fundamentalists are going to be upset but that's becuase you're not really understanding Jesus correctly. I might be wrong;(wisper) but most likley not (end wisper)." However, I am still enjoying what he is setting out to do.

heather,

I appreciate your story. The history of comming from a Christian family is special. It really is. I, however, have a much harder time defining why I am a Christian. Most likely I feel like this:
-Primarily I am a Christian becuase I know I suck and my hope is that someone out there, God, doesn't suck and can help me to throw off some of my suckyness.
-I am also a Christian because I like the $#!T disturber Jesus that I read about in the New Testament. I too want to be a $#!T disturber but but I keep disturbing the wrong $#!T.
-I like Christianity because it boasts a God that is historically involved with his people. Not just a show up at the end of the day to collect the wages type of God.
-Mostly, thought I'm not prowd of it, I am a Christian by habit. And not always good lifestyle habits. When asked it's what I get passionate about. But at 9:00 at night when the choices are watch tv and laze on the couch or pray and read my Bible, my passion dwindles.
-I would say that I have a personal relationship with God but it doesn't look like any of the other relationships I have in my life. It's harder. Like a long distance relationship. Sometimes I feel like I never see him or talk to him. Or that he never calls to ask how things are going. But then I have times when I feel like he has come to visit. Like we've been hagning out all week, or all month. But then he goes home again and things start over. The relationships there but it's hard.
-There are likely more reasons but I haven't thought of them now. Maybe I'll add them later.

cheers,

Anonymous said...

Ya. For me McLaren's the kind of guy I cheer at one moment, and then the next moment find totally disappointing and shallow. But in many many important ways I'm cheering for him.



Why am I a Christian?

Here's a couple of reasons that work together as one big reason:

1) Behind the deep mystery, and shrouded in in deep mystery, is the fact that before the foundation of the world God chose me in Christ to be redeemed and adopted by Him. I think its cool to set asside whatever theological issues we might have with this and just let it be what it is for a moment. Stop worrying for a second about how this fits into your system. Wild stuff.

2) The deep faith and genuine piety of my parents. Without the profound respect I have for the living example of faith I find in my parents I can't imagine being what I am today.

3) Life in my home church as a child and teen. Being tought. Being loved. Having friendships. Just being a part of lively Christian community.

4) Reading some of the theology of the great classical Christian thinkers, even some modern day ones, and being aware of that great heritage. Very very important for my continued faith.

I could expand 2-4 into a million details.

I think number 1 worked itself out in reality through numbers 2-4. In this way they are one whole, not disjointed parts.

Miroslav said...

Too cool.

You and I both enjoy "the gray", both started our blogs in Nov '05, and have similar entries. :)

Here is my entry entitled:
Faith Filled Only Please.